Thursday, July 22, 2010

Practical Eye-Opener Version 1.1

I was having a normal chat with my parents about my ambitious dreams and aspiration
When out of the blue they asked me whether I ever thought about their condition
I always used to feel that I spend enough time with my parents in daily interaction
This particular observation just did not startle me but got me on the road to reflection

I decided to spend the next day engaging my parents beyond our daily conversation
It was initially difficult to get them to talk and voice their views and deepest apprehension
They started off by saying that the lives they led were different in their generation
They could not relate much to what is happening around in this universal creation

The next day as we had dinner we talked about the pace of life that has undergone a change
We slowly got talking on diverse issues that covered politics and environment across a range
We exchanged ideas and realized through exchange of opinions that each had a diverse view
We were glad that we were moving beyond trivial issues to relevant concerns beyond purview

As we reached the middle of the week my parents slowly began to express their concerns
They spoke about how they had brought us up and also had to face compromises on the run
They revived their memories of their challenges when they brought us up over the ages
They highlighted the fact that they realized that many a time a person feels caught in a cage

As they were growing older they were for the first time facing challenges on the physical front
It was not that they were not looking around for solutions and were consciously on the hunt
Many a time they felt uncomfortable in confiding their problems to us with their burden
They felt that we were already leaving stressful lives and they should not be an energy drain

They spoke about how many a times they faced challenges while crossing the road
They spoke about how there are moments when they faced concerns in being heard
They spoke about how there are moments when they fear of having a fall during their walk
They spoke about their fears about possibility of there being none with whom they could talk

They discussed the trend forcing children to live away from parents to pursue their career
They spoke about how their entire life time spent with their family may now appear queer
They spoke about their efforts to pass on their culture and tradition to the best of their ability
They spoke about their concerns of nuclear families that may create future family instability

I was glad that I could make my parents talk about concerns that were their preoccupation
I always used to wonder whether this concern was just a figment of my own imagination
I understood the high level of inter-dependency that connects every succeeding generation
I realized that we always have a choice and have the final say while deciding our contribution

3 comments:

NUBONIHIVE said...

Given that this is the current state of affairs, what would our situation be when we grow old?

naturelover_niharika said...

uncle its one great poem.i thouroughly enjoyed it. please also visit my blog "natureloveblog"
niha

Nature is smiling said...

Dear Niha

Thank you and am glad that you are cultivating interests at a young age that will take you far.

I will get you the membership form that you wanted. In the meantime you can visit the website and also subscribe to some publications that is solely focused on your interest areas. If you start young, by the time you reach college, you will have developed an enhanced understanding of the environmental landscape.

Do continue to make time for your passion and wish you all the success in your life.

Love and Cheers.....Dev