Saturday, March 27, 2010

Books

When I was a child I got introduced to my dear friend
She was simple and sweet and radiated a charming glow
Her touch exhorted me to explore the wonders of life
Her speech energized me to cook up my own tales

Her stories mesmerised me transporting me to a different world
Her logic and rationale always seemed to have the last say
Whenever I searched for clues to solve the complex puzzle
She always had the answer and managed to have the final chuckle

As I searched for meaning trying to connect pieces of history
She always had ready points to remember that she willingly shared
As I tried to understand the affairs of the present
She seemed to always have a perspective on any given event

As I tried to understand the prized mathematical equations
She seemed to connect the dots without any confusion
As I tried to absorb, distil and apply the essence of grammar
She was blessed with a gift of words that she always wore as armour

As I tried to understand the nuances of art and craft
She was ever ready with tips that seemed to flow from her cart
As I tried to absorb the nuances of melody, music and dance
She seemed to flow and dance to a rhythm as if in a trance

As I regularly tried to inject some fun in my life
She was ready with quips and healthy dose of humour
Her probes were timely and stimulated my mind
Her actions always seemed aligned and had me in a bind

I fear to imagine how I could have grown without my dear friend
A reality that now seems warmer without too many amends
My salutations to you my friend, you are god’s gift to mankind
My prayers that you always guide from the front as we navigate the bend!

1 comment:

Venu Bohini said...

Ok...Here is the thing that got my curiosity aroused as soon as I went through the first 4 lines. Who is this "dear friend" of yours? I thought you may be revealing the identity of this friend towards the end of the poem. I desisted from scrolling down and went about going through the poem in the proper order. At the same time, my mind was navigating in different directions as to who this "dear friend" could be. Your mom, your sister or someone else....

Then stupid me scanned through the poem once again and my eyes landed on the title (I had forgotten about it as a phone call distracted me). But it was fun letting my imagination run wild.....