Thursday, April 8, 2010

Call of the Wild

It was a ravenous appetite that took over after the rule book driven nocturnal chase
Seeking out the tiger was supposed to be the final prized moment of glory
The Divine lord was propitiated to create conditions that could not be further worse
We had to behold the tiger with pride intact before it fell to the ill-fated curse

We had heard from the tribal chieftain about the tiger that was being stalked
We were curious when we got to know that the chief predator wanted to talk
In all of recorded history the king of predators inspired awe, fear and respect
It seemed so very sad that destiny seemed unkind and its survival was now at stake

Once acknowledged as a symbol of wilderness and health of the eco-system
Focused energies on its conservation is crucial to maintain the life support system
Beyond the homo-sapiens and certain domesticated species rest of nature is wild
Sustaining the bio-diversity chain is not just crucial but man’s own key to survival

They have been known to be seat bearers of various incarnation of the lord
Their very mention inspires courage and pride an all too uncommon emotion
The very same reason seemed to have brought it to its verge of extinction
Over the ages it has been hunted for skin and body parts and trivial sport vendetta

As the meeting hour dawned my intestines were throwing up and my legs were going weak
I was filled with shame to discuss his future amongst us that now literally seemed bleak
The tiger announced his arrival with his now famous brisk pace and mighty roar
I lacked the courage as him to stand by self as my fingers drew comfort twiddling with the barrel gun

The tiger was the first off the block and argued about the chronic disturbance to his eco-system
Human exploitation over the ages had eaten into his habitat and was causing his extinction
His pitiful condition was akin to a guest seeking permission to enter his own home
Humans lacked the intellect and sensibilities to repair their damages and eliminate interference

I mustered all my guts to talk about our contribution and ensure his sustenance
The management of habitat that was the blue print of our Conservation Strategy
The intent was to identify the limiting factors and mitigate the same with control
Use technology and preventive measures to ensure recovery and improve carrying capacity

The tiger seemed to chuckle at my sad plight and yet was kind enough to not give me a fright
He reemphasised about the need for humans to focus on need and control their greed
He laid threadbare the argument of survival instinct behind the veil of the population story
He seemed wise enough to echo the Universal truth of identifying and following the laws of nature

I knew that the tiger had me knocked down literally by the throat
His argument was sound and he seemed to be now readying for the kill
It seemed wise that I step back and acknowledge my role in his family destruction
It would still never undo or make up for all the damages caused by my brethren to their ilk

As I signed on the treaty on ways to reduce the pressure on natural resources
I hope that the ongoing man-animal conflict will quickly die a natural death
Nature hopefully will be back in charge and ensure there is no further degradation
The next time I come visiting, the tiger welcoming me with its family will be true soul connection!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very well written and thoughts much appreciated.....Sandeep Thakur